Conditions for Acquisition
- We collect variable media artworks that can exist entirely on an electronic storage carrier (the work, required physical components, and any parameters*)
- The work offers a critical inquiry into technology’s effect on the human condition
- The Artist is living – we aim to collect across pioneers, emerging market artists, and early career artists
*Such as artist intent, instructions, equipment specifications, production guidelines, scores, codebase, project files, etc.
- The Current collects challenging variable media work
- The collection is flexible to exist across instantiations, without reliance on physical artifacts
- Our commitment to conservation aims to maintain these works
- We are supported by a network of people helping us experiment with access and care of the works, in collaboration with our artists.
- Artists we collect are invited as members of The Current to help shape the collection